Saffron Walden Arts Trust Equal Opportunities Policy
Mission of the Arts Trust
The objects of the Saffron Walden Arts Trust shall be to promote, maintain, improve and advance education, and the encouragement of the Arts, including the arts of drama, mime, dance, singing and music, for the benefit of the inhabitants of Saffron Walden and the surrounding area, and the provision in the interests of social welfare of facilities for recreation and leisure-time occupation for the said inhabitants.
We fully accept and welcome that society consists of many diverse groups and individuals and this diversity is an asset to the community, we also recognise that certain groups and individuals are discriminated against and we are opposed to this. We recognise that we have a moral and legal responsibility to promote equal opportunities and we will pursue equality in all of our work
This document has been prepared to set out Saffron Walden Arts Trust’s commitment and as a statement of its intent. The Policy will be reviewed annually to ensure effective implementation. Saffron Walden Arts Trust is an Equal Opportunities Organisation. It is committed to the development of policies to provide for equality of opportunity in all aspects of its work. We will work to ensure that all our services are provided in a way that promotes awareness of the rights and needs of people from minority groups and enables all people to access to them. Saffron Walden Arts Trust will take whatever steps are necessary including, if appropriate, use of the disciplinary mechanisms laid out in the code of conduct, to enforce the Policy. In addition, anyone connected to our organisation, helper, staff member or volunteer who considers that he/she is suffering from unequal treatment on any grounds may use this policy to bring it to the committee’s attention for action.
Code of Conduct.
- People will be treated with dignity and respect regardless of race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion or age.
- At all times people’s feelings will be valued and respected. Language or humour that people find offensive will not be used, e.g. sexist or racist jokes or terminology that is deemed derogatory.
- No one will be harassed, abused, excluded or intimidated on the grounds of their race, sex, age, nationality, disability, religion or sexual orientation.
- Foul, insulting, abusive or racist remarks will not be tolerated from anyone associated with the organisation and behaviour of this type may lead to expulsion from the organisation. Incidents of harassment will be taken seriously. If the matter cannot be resolved by way of an acceptable apology and an undertaking that the offence will not be repeated, the following action will be taken:
- The person in question will be requested to attend a meeting of the full Management Committee/Board to explain their actions
- In the case of a helper/volunteer, action may be taken as appropriate and if deemed necessary their involvement with the organisation may cease.
- In a case involving a member of the organisation, membership to the organisation may be withdrawn. Any directly involved person has the right to appeal against a decision made by the management committee who will consider that appeal before a decision is made and that decision will be final.
Any directly involved person has the right to appeal against a decision made by the management committee who will consider that appeal before a decision is made and that decision will be final.
January 31st 2018